Find A Ride
Have an appointment that you need to get to or some errands to run? No matter the reason, BayRides will pick you up at your door and take you anywhere you want to go around the Bay!
BayRides offers pre-booked door-to-door transportation for all residents of St. Margaret’s Bay. After booking your ride 24 hours in advance (48 hours recommended to help us serve you better), our friendly drivers will pick you up at your front door and take you to:
• Grocery stores
• Medical appointments
• Connection to the Metro X
• Community events
• or anywhere you want to go around the Bay
We will pick you up in our 12-seat accessible bus, our 4-seat accessible van or one of our 6-seat minivans. Or we may arrange for one of our Volunteer Drivers to pick you up. One of the ways we provide rides is through our Volunteer Driver Program in which Volunteer Drivers provide transportation to BayRides passengers using their own personal vehicles.
We provide transportation for individuals and groups. Groups include, for example, school groups, weddings, community groups, company outings, etc. Contact the dispatcher to get a quote for group bookings.
Transportation to locations outside our area
We can transport clients to locations outside our area as long as the client originates within our catchment area.
BayRides operates in St. Margaret’s Bay from West Dover to Yankeetown Road and from Sheldrake Lake to the HRM County Line in Hubbards.
BayRides catchment area boundaries:
- HRM County Line in Hubbards – includes up to 19 Fox Point Front Road on the left and Baccardax Lane on the right outbound on Hwy 3
- 6800 Prospect Road, West Dover
- Sheldrake Lake – Hwy 3 as far as the Sheldrake Lake Park and Ride (Metro X bus stop) off Exit 4, Hwy 103
- Hammonds Plains Road (Hwy 213) to the far end of Yankeetown Road
Looking to book a ride with BayRides? We have a few different ways for you to connect with us, find them here:
Book a Ride
Ensure you book at least 24 hours in advance so we can schedule your trip (48 hours is recommended to help us serve you better).
Be prepared to provide:
- phone number
- planned departure time and address
- any special requirements you may have (wheelchair, service animal, additional stops needed)
Our dispatcher is in the office Monday – Friday 10:00 am to 1:00 pm booking rides. Messages left outside of dispatch hours will be checked the next business day. Our dispatcher will call you back to confirm your ride and details.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Rides may be booked outside of these hours and days based on driver availability and at an additional cost.
Rides for Mondays must be booked by 1 pm on the previous Thursday.
BayRides accepts payments by cash (exact change only) or cheque (made out to BayRides). For those travelling regularly, e-transfer is available. Payment is due at time of pickup unless prior arrangements have been made with the dispatcher.
Fares starting as low as:
- One-way trip: $3.00 – $5.00
- Return trip: $5.00 – $8.00
- Additional Stops: $2.00 per stop
NEW Fares effective October 1, 2020
|Distance||Cost (one way)|
|0 – 5.0km||$3.00|
|5.1 – 10.0km||$4.00|
|10.1 – 15.0km||$6.00|
|15.1 – 20.0km||$8.00|
|20.1 km or more||$8.00 + 40¢ per km over 20km|
|Extra Stops||$2.00 per stop|
(Cobequid, QEII, VG, etc.)
* Rides outside of our regular service area will be charged $1.20 per kilometer. Prices and times are subject to change.
** Fare assistance may be available. Contact dispatch to find out more.
We serve anyone within our catchment area (all rides must originate in our catchment area).
- You must book your ride at least 24 hours in advance (48 hours recommended to help us serve you better and help ensure availability at your preferred pickup time).
- To book a trip, contact us at least 1 day in advance between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm Monday to Friday (our dispatch hours). If you call outside these hours leave a message; someone will get back to you next business day.
- Need to cancel a trip? Please contact our dispatcher as soon as possible. Cancellations can be done by phone as the dispatcher always checks messages before the drivers head out in the morning and throughout the day. If you have not cancelled the trip prior to the driver arriving at your location, you will be charged the full fare for the trip.
- No scents is good sense! Some of our volunteers and clients have allergies; you can help make your and their trip more pleasant by being scent sensitive. Thanks for understanding!
- Pets: All pets must be effectively restrained during travel. Cats must be crated; large dogs must be muzzled; all dogs must have leads.
- Oxygen tanks: Oxygen tanks can only be transported in BayRides vehicles if they are carried on the passenger’s person.
- Children: Children under 12 years old cannot travel unattended, and passengers 12-14 years old require parental consent to ride unattended.
- Car seats: It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian travelling with the child to provide and install/uninstall car seats if required.
- Attendants always ride free! Just let our dispatcher know at the time of booking. Our drivers are happy to hold doors, assist with packages and provide a steadying arm, but passengers requiring additional assistance require a personal attendant to provide the additional assistance they may require.
- Booking an out of service area appointment? Please book trips going outside our service area (e.g. into Halifax, Dartmouth, Lower Sackville) as soon as possible to accommodate scheduling. At least 1 week’s notice is needed as these trips are done with volunteer drivers and the dispatcher must have time to see if anyone is available. Please advise the dispatcher if you require an accessible vehicle.
- Extra stops? All stops must be booked through our dispatcher prior to the trip; this is to help our drivers keep everything on schedule. There will be an added charge of $2 for each additional stop, which the dispatcher will discuss with you at the time of booking.
- Weather: Cancellation of service due to winter weather driving conditions will be based on the discretion of the drivers. If schools are cancelled it does not mean we will be; please call to confirm your booking if you are unsure. Our dispatcher or driver will call you if the conditions are severe enough to cancel. We will do our best to get you home if we have picked you up earlier in the day but safety is our number one concern so it may not be possible. If Halifax Transit and/or the police advise to stay off the roads BayRides will pull vehicles off the road. If the weather has made driving unsafe we will call all clients to advise.
- Smoking/Cannabis/Vaping: Smoking, the use of cannabis and cannabis products, and the use of vaping and related products are prohibited in any BayRides vehicle or volunteer driver’s vehicle.
- Alcohol/Drugs: Absolutely no open alcohol or any type of illegal drugs is allowed in any BayRides vehicle or volunteer driver’s vehicle. Any passenger caught with open alcohol or illegal drugs on board will be immediately asked to exit the vehicle.
- Food or beverages: Passengers are prohibited from having any open food or beverages on board any BayRides vehicle or volunteer driver’s vehicle.
- Personal conduct/hygiene: BayRides reserves the right to refuse to transport any person whose conduct is objectionable to other passengers or to the safe operation of the vehicle. BayRides reserves the right to refuse to transport any person whose hygiene is deemed to be offensive to other clients or drivers.
- Payment options: BayRides accepts payments by cash (exact change only) or cheque (made out to BayRides); for those travelling regularly, e-transfer is available. Payment is due at time of pickup unless prior arrangements have been made with the dispatcher to be invoiced.
“Without BayRides, I wouldn’t be able to work. It’s as simple as that.” – Matt
“Before BayRides, getting anything done was nearly impossible. I felt helpless, a bother, a nobody.” – Cora
“For me BayRides means being able to adopt a green perspective and I continue to look at all the savings – no second car, no gas, no insurance.” – Nancy